Sunday, January 30, 2011

My ER Adventure

This weekend was a little bit different than the average one. It started off great, a double date with Marian and her friend David. We went to Indian food and it was delicious. Then we spent nearly an hour searching for this place called Smart Cookie. My Iphone kept leading us into these obscure neighborhoods. It was rather scary. Once we arrived at Smart Cookie we had to wait a little bit because the cookies were in the oven. It was well worth it though, they were delicious. Mark and I got a dozen and Marian and David got a dozen. It was pure blissful delight.

Suddenly, as we were leaving the cookie shop I got a sharp pain in the right side of my head. I thought it was was simply because I hadn't been home to take my medication yet but something felt different about it. I became quite sensitive to noise and light. It would come in waves but I didn't talk much on the way home. When we got back I told Marian that I would go put the leftovers away and then head over to her apartment but I called her later realizing just how much homework I had and said I would have to call it a night. After taking my medication the pain ebbed away and I talked with some of my roommates for a bit. I was quite tired because I had been up until 4 am the morning before writing a paper for class. I decided it would be a good idea to take a short nap just to recharge before starting on my homework. I laid down on the couch and Mark watched over me. After the 15 minutes were up he tried to wake me up but I said no. He gave me nearly another 40 minutes before trying to wake me again.

This is when the pain hit. My head felt like it had been split into two. My right side was throbbing and then it would spread to the rest of my head before localizing again. I started to sob uncontrollably. Mark was scared because he asked me what was wrong and all I could do was point at my head. Finally we got smart and after about 40 minutes the pain started to subside. It would come in waves and then each wave was less and less painful. I started to type to Mark on my phone. I couldn't speak. The words would form in my head but when I tried to vocalize them nothing would come out. If I was lucky I could get out one or two words.

At this point I was petrified. I thought I had, had a stroke or something was seriously wrong with me. Mark called his Mom and Dad, his mom as suffered with migraines for years, but it was like nothing they had ever heard about. Finally I consented to him calling my parents. My mom and dad immediantly said that we should call 911. I refused but instead told him to call Colton to come give me a preisthood blessing. Colton was at a friends house and by the time he got there the pain was gone but I still couldn't speak. Mark and him administered the blessing and by that time Jerra, Brittan, and Liz had arrived home. Brittan and Liz took Mark and I to the Emergency room. Luckily there was no waiting time so I was able to get in right away.

Mark explained the situation to the lady at the front desk and they led me to a room after giving me a spiffy bracelet. The doctors did the typical blood pressure and temperature tests. None of those were abnormal. Then I got transferred to another room where the actual doctor came in to talk to me. I got to put on a luxurious hospital gown. He did a few tests including where I had to close my eyes and then he would touch a finger and have me touch it to my nose. Apparently I messed up a few times but was able to correct it. Then he had me stand and he tried to push me over and I was able to correct it so I didn't have any symptoms of stroke. He told me I had most likely suffered from a complex migraine. Another doctor came in and put an IV in my arm. I HATE needles so I was scared out of my mind. Tears were welling up in my eyes and I was squeezing Mark's hand so tight I am surprised he didn't have bruises.

They gave me some saline and within it they put something that makes it so when it goes into you it gives you an Awful, I repeat, I awful, taste in your mouth. It tastes metallic and it is to make sure that it is in your blood stream. Next a nurse came and gave me some anti-anxiety meds. I don't remember the name of it. It made me feel so strange. It didn't work right away but when it did I felt sleepy and couldn't focus on anything. It was very hard for me to concentrate and I just felt weaker than I already was.

Not long after that they came in and discharged me, telling me to get lots of rest. This wasn't a problem considering I could barely keep my eyes open due to the anti-anxiety medicine they had given me. I desperately wished Mark could have stayed the night with me but he helped carry stuff up to my dorm and then said good night. Liz and Brittan took great care of me making sure I was comfortable. It wasn't long before I was asleep.

In the morning I woke up around noon. Mark had been there since 10 am (the soonest he is allowed in the building). I texted him saying I was awake and he came walking down the hall. My voice was back. It was still kinda hard to speak at first but I was able to. Throughout the day it got easier and easier. Never have I been so grateful for my voice. It felt like a small miracle to me. I hugged Mark so tight and got all teary eyed, so grateful that I was alright.

Mandee was like my adopted mom today. She waited on me hand and foot. For lunch she made me the most delicious sandwich consisting of spinach and warm cheddar cheese on a baguette. I had never tasted anything so good. Then for dinner she made me pasta with yummy red sauce and vegetables. I love Mandee! Mark left at around 3pm to go hang out with his brother and I slept from then until 6:30. He came back at 8pm to check on me. I love him so much and he is going to make an excellent doctor some day. After he left I worked on chemistry. He really is amazing and I am so lucky to have him.

So you are probably wondering what a complex migraine is. They are relatively uncommon.
TA "complex migraine" is one in which there are neurological symptoms such as weakness, loss of vision, or difficulty speaking in addition to the headache. In fact, a complex migraine may be mistaken for a stroke.

One theory about the cause of migraine headaches is that blood vessels in the brain suddenly narrow (or spasm) and then dilate; when the blood vessels dilate, the headache develops. During the spasm phase, certain parts of the brain may receive too little blood, and this may cause the stroke-like symptoms. However, unlike a stroke, blood flow is not permanently interrupted during migraine headaches, and the neurological symptoms are nearly always temporary.

So now you know a little bit more about what I went through this weekend. I can certainly say I got a lot of rest. :) Much needed let me tell you. This next week though is going to be stressful. I have 4 tests and a large paper due! *EEP* Wish me luck!

Random Fact:  In ancient Greece, throwing an apple to a girl was a way to propose for marriage.. If the girl caught it, that would mean she accepts.

1 comment:

  1. :( I have a needle phobia too! I'm so sorry you had to deal with all that this weekend. Take care of yourself, mmkay?

    ReplyDelete