Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Updates and more

So it has been far too long since I have posted a blog and I realize there are really no excuses. So here is a quick sum up from after finals until now. Packed up all my belongings and left good old P-town. I was so happy to be out of that dorm I'm sure I was glowing. It certainly has memories but some things are better left in the past. Plus I'm moving on to bigger and better things. Pretty sure anything is better than that pit of despair. I lived with my Mom's parents, Grandma and Grandpa Baer, for almost a week before I was whisked away to Richland, Washington. Now this is not the normal wet Washington, it's the dry, hot, desert side. My Nana and I quickly embarked on our nearly 3 week stay in Disney world. We stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge Jumbo house in one of the Ginormous villas. Seriously, we had our own pool table. I found I would spend hours at night talking on the phone to John, Mark, or a few other people and just enjoying the Florida warmth and the African animals that would graze below me. That's right we had giraffes, zebras, and a whole plethora of wildlife practically on our doorstep. It was awesome! So after we returned to Washington from our wild adventure I got my driver's license and proceeded to total the car. Yeah let's not talk about that story. But know that I am fine and there is no lasting damage besides maybe some wounded pride.

Now we get to the "fun" part. The plane ride to BKK (Bangkok) was surprisingly uneventful. You have your own TV screen so I took advantage of that and watched a ton of movies. It was great! College life is wonderful but when you don't have a car well... you don't get out much. Touching down in Bangkok I made it through security without much of a problem, picked up my luggage, and proceeded through customs. Then came the hard part of locating my dad without a cell phone. I went to our "meeting place" but didn't see him. After standing around for nearly 15 minutes I finally spotted him a little ways down from me. Packing my luggage into the car I was greeted by 90 pounds of love.... my dog Kilo. Man I had missed him. After wining and some serious licking we were on our way home. I was immediately accosted by my siblings who wanted what I had brought them from the states immediately. Sifting through 140 pounds of luggage I gave them their gifts and collapsed into bed. It was nearly 2am Sunday morning Bangkok time. Surprisingly I slept pretty soundly and awoke at 9 am. My family had all left for church. I had opted out because I had to start work the next day and was hoping to speed up the process of getting rid of jet lag.

Work.... Working for the US Embassy in the GSO (housing department) is well... what you would expect. Boring... Never ever ever would I choose this for my "real" job. That being said I'd much rather shoot myself in the foot. It is an endless sea of filing and changing forms online. Mindless tasks that when there is enough to actually keep you busy it is fine. But as you can see from the length of this post and the fact that I am doing it during work well, there is never enough to be done here. Mina (my sister) works here with me and we have discovered the wonders of YouTube and the fact that there are a lot of Disney movies on there to watch. Also sleep is a good time filler. It really is sad because when we are given a task the workers are always shocked at how fast we can get it done. They expect it to take us several days or maybe a week and we get it done in a day. Really makes me wonder how anything gets done around here. This is their "busy" season too so what exactly do they do for the rest of the year!?!

The good thing about work is it does bring in some money, though not much. It will most definitely help with various college expenses though and I am hoping to still have my job as a TA in the fall. Life is pretty good but I find I am missing college life more and more. You are always busy and there is always something to do. Here I am quite content to watch The Office with my siblings. So far I have made it part way through season 3. I still have a lot ahead of me but hey progress. I watch a few episodes every night and soon I won't have work to keep me busy since we can only work here for a month. What then!?! I'll be helping my mom plan our trip to Bali, Australia, and New Zealand. That's right it's actually happening and I can scarcely contain my excitement. We leave for our 2 week excursion at the end of July. Part of my Bucket list will be complete! I'm definitely going to learn how to surf and probably test out my hand again at SCUBA or Snorkeling. Mina and I are dead set on going bungee jumping in New Zealand. So excited! We'll also be encountering some cute koalas at the Cairns zoo in Australia.

So that's the update! Haven't had much time to do a lot in Thailand yet besides movies but hopefully this weekend I'll make it to Chatuchak market (the largest open air market) to get some much needed fish supplies and just enjoy shopping. I also want to go to the Tiger Temple and Dream world. There is so much I want to do that before you know it I'll be back at School. :) Hopefully the time passes quickly. That is all!

Random Fact: There are twice as many kangaroos in Australia as there are people. The kangaroo population is estimated at about 40 million.

No comments:

Post a Comment